Take advantage of August’s warm, dry days to paint the outside of your house. The average exterior paint job lasts 10 years, but you have to do it right. The key to a quality exterior paint job is in the prep.
Here are some tips:
• Give the exterior of your house a good cleaning to remove loose paint and dirt.
• Use a paint scraper, putty knife, or wire brush to remove peeling paint.
• Replace rotten wood.
• Prime any bare wood with a stain-blocking exterior primer.
• Fill cracks with high-quality, exterior, paintable caulk. Let dry.
• Apply two coats of high-quality, exterior latex paint.
Learn more about exterior painting: